Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Florida Food- Vacation Cooking/Eating Adventures part 1

Alright, so while on vacation I took a break from my blog but, this time I plan to actually write about the trip. Prepare yourself, this one is long....

Nick and I left after work on Thursday, December 23rd for Kissimmee, Florida to visit his sister Marisa, brother-in-law David, 3 year old cutest nephew ever Tyler, and mom. Driving overnight I packed some essential snack items for the road; Cheez-Its, beef jerky, Ruffles Sour cream and Cheddar chips, and plenty of caffeinated beverages (coca-cola and red bull(for me)). I started out the first leg of the trip behind the wheel. Listening to the Blues beat the Red Wings made the driving go by much faster :)

I didn't wind up taking photos of food until Tuesday (I am pretty forgetful when confronted with a plate of delicious food). Our first night in Florida(Friday) we had some take out from KFC, not too exciting but, it really hit the spot and, we love their biscuits.

 Marisa, Nick and mom N(Nick's mom, I call her mom too so, I'll always just throw an N for Nick after mom so you know who I am talking about and, a W after when I am referring to my mom) worked together to make a feast for Christmas. There was a ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, mushroom and rice casserole, Asian Salad, and macaroni & cheese.  I have no photos of this meal so, just trust me when I say it was great because, I ate leftovers for several lunches.

For dinner on Sunday we went to Mimi's Cafe because Tyler wanted some "chocolate bread" (this is what he calls the date bread that they serve). We started out with an appetizer of fried pickle slices which, were fantastic. Everyone's food looked great with the exception of the steak I ordered. I had to send it back twice(overcooked the first time then, it was raw the second)! Again, I did not take pics...

Monday night Marisa recommended we grab some takeout from Rice and Beans Cocina Latina. All of us ordered the Bistec Encebollado(Onion Steak) that came with rice, beans, and sweet plantains. I was very happy with the food and, basically inhaled it so, you will need to go to their website to see a photo! 

Tuesday, Marisa, mom N, and I had lunch at Tijuana Flats. This was my first experience and was expecting something similar to Chipotle(since it is a chain). For me, Chipotle is too much food for lunch which, leads me to over eat. Tijuana Flats has more size options, the food was fresh, and super tasty!

Tuesday continued, Nick decided to prepare dinner for everyone. The appetizer was tostones which, happen to be one of my favorite things. He made his version of Cuban Piccadillo(Cuban beef hash) by adding some Sriracha and other ingredients(because I am not a fan of the raisins he omits them). On the side he had rice topped with black beans and Cuban bread. I provided the dessert a chocolate ganache cake made by the Publix bakery. Nick makes this meal at least once a month (sans Cuban bread and the dessert), it's crave-worthy.
Cuban bread is a wonderful thing. Why don't bakeries up here in MO make it???

Plantains before being sliced and fried up!

Sliced plantains ready to be peeled, fried, mushed, bathed in salt water, and then fried again.

The kitchen situation. Top Left is the picadillo, top right is black beans, bottom left is the oil for tostones, and bottom left is the rice.

Tostones and mojo, a perfect match!

Delicious meal prepared by Nick!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home